3.03.2011

Why I am shaving my head (Part 1)

There are so many reasons that I want to shave my head... but a big one is to raise awareness of children's cancer.
  • Cancer is the #1 disease killer of children in the U.S. and Canada
  • Worldwide 160,000 kids are diagnosed with cancer each year
  • Every 3½ minutes a child is diagnosed with cancer
  • One in five children diagnosed with cancer will not survive
  • Two thirds of childhood cancer patients will have a long lasting chronic condition from the very treatment that helped save their lives




Pictured above are my nieces Kailyne & Gabrielle & I on the 4th of July of 2010. The are both healthy on the inside and out. Their beautiful smiles and open hearts melt my heart every time. They live about 1,000 miles away from me in Lawton, OK. Since they live so far away, we don't get to play together very often... but I am so happy they are healthy & can to do whatever it is they dream of. Kailyne, 6 years old, is growing her gorgeous blonde hair out right now to donate to Locks of Love. Gabrielle actually has a friend in kindergarden that is fighting cancer.

While I'm blessed to have healthy nieces... not everyone does. The statistics above are terrifying and need to change. As I go to bed tonight my heart is heavy for all of the moms & dads, aunts & uncles, and brothers & sisters of kids that have been lost to cancer. But as I think of their lives I realize that God had His hand on their lives. James 1:17 says that, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." And then I can't help but think of Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." And while I believe these verses with my whole self, I pray that these kids can be spared if there is any way. And I pray for a break-through for the doctors and the researchers who are desperately trying to find a cure.

Passionately, Angie

2 comments:

  1. I've learned that bald is beautiful. Cancer isn't fun, believe me, I know from personal experience, but you have no idea how much people like me who have lost our hair due to cancer appreciate things like this. I hope that you raise tons of money, because we need to find a cure. I was diagnosed with a "childhood cancer" even though I was 20 years old. We need to find a cure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzie you posted a facebook status one time with the gist of, "Going to school today rocking a bald head, I hope college kids are nice." I must say that that status has impacted me. You have such pretty features (I love your eyes!!) and to think that someone might see otherwise really blows my mind. On top of the physical pain/discomfort you might have been feeling... you also had to worry about other people's reactions. Wow. New insight & understanding for me. Thank you for being so beautiful, starting on the inside - - and working it's way to the outside. Everyone that knows you is inspired by your journey and loves you. You are truly beautifully & wonderfully made.(Psalm 139:14) YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete